BASICS Devon is proud to introduce you to their 2 Runners, Annette Rickard and Paula Tobin, taking part in the Virtual Virgin Money London Marathon on Sunday 3rd October 2021 across Devon.
On Sunday 3 October 50,000 participants will take on the traditional course from London’s Blackheath to The Mall – an increase of more than 7,000 on the previous finisher record – while another 50,000 people around the globe run the 26.2 miles on the course of their choice, any time from 00:00:00 to 23:59:59 BST, in a virtual event.
The physical and mental health benefits of being active have been brought sharply into focus during the pandemic, and this biggest-ever London Marathon offers more people than ever before the chance to experience these benefits while raising much-needed funds for charity.
The runners share why they are taking on the notorious challenge;
Annette Rickard explains her motivations, ‘My hospital doctor colleagues volunteer for this group and even though I live in Cornwall, my job at Derriford brings me into fairly regular contact with the BASICS team. I love running, swimming, sailing and anything outdoors, also cooking and reading and spending time with my awesome family, so loving the challenge to be a part of this to support the BASICS Devon doctors.'
Paula Tobin said ‘Working as a nurse in emergency care I have the greatest respect for the work of the prehospital care providers. I enjoy running and being able to run the London marathon to support BASICS Devon links two of the important aspects in my work and leisure time. It also enables me to highlight the great work that BASICS Devon does within the department and to my family and friends.’
This is the first time that BASICS Devon has a team of runners and are thrilled to be taking part in the virtual event. They are encouraging their followers to please help support the ladies if you can by visiting https://www.totalgiving.co.uk/charity/basics-devon, quoting ‘VLM Runners’
There is also 1 place still available, do you want to join our team? If so just complete the Expression of Interest form today at the following link Expression of Interest Form
For further information, visit www.basics-devon.org.uk/events or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01752 936299
NOTES TO EDITORS
About the London Marathon
• The London Marathon was first held on 29 March 1981 and the millionth finisher in the history of the event crossed the line in 2016.
• The 41st Race on Sunday 3 October will see 50,000 participants take part in the event from Blackheath to The Mall, as well as 50,000 participants take on the event on a route and location of their choice. All finishers will receive a finisher’s T-shirt and medal.
• In 2019 the Virgin Money London Marathon raised £66.4 million for charity, setting a new Guinness World Record for an annual one-day charity fundraising event for a 13th successive year. This brought the total raised for charity since 1981 to more than £1 billion.
• London Marathon Events gifts its surplus each year to The London Marathon Charitable Trust.
• Since 1981, The London Marathon Charitable Trust has awarded grants totalling in excess of £90 million to more than 1,430 projects in London, Surrey and other areas.
About BASICS Devon
• BASICS Devon is a network of 13 emergency volunteer doctors providing immediate access to specialist medical care at the scene of an accident or illness. Making themselves available around the clock throughout the year, responding to incidents at the request of the South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust. The charity relies solely on donations.
• BASICS Devon doctors aim to provide a fast response to incidents and use their extensive skills to support patient care.